Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – Claim Compensation for COPD from Work
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is a type of lung disease that can be developed as an industrial illness. It is a serious condition that can result in death or a significant reduction in the ability to breath for those suffering from it.
What is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, how do you contract it and what does it do?
COPD can take quite a number of years to develop after contact with the elements responsible for it. Often symptoms progress more aggressively from mid-life or later. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is categorised as a progressive and irreversible constraint of airflow available to the lungs. The two main diseases within the COPD terminology are Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema.
The first, Chronic Bronchitis, affects the bronchi within the lungs by inflaming it, which narrows the flow of air into the lungs. This can also cause bronchial secretions.
Emphysema causes permanent growth and damage to the air sacs – or alveoli – within the lungs, reducing surface area to absorb oxygen into the bloodstream and causing breathlessness.
Asthma can also be considered under the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease banner if there is chronic obstruction to the airways in the lungs.
COPD is mainly developed because of smoking, and the regularity that goes alongside that, but a large number of the cases of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease can be linked to occupational exposure. Estimates from research and surveys indicate around 4,000 deaths a year from COPD because of workplace exposure. The disease in total causes an averagely 30,000 deaths per year, mostly because of smoking. It is suggested that there is upwards of a possible 900,000 diagnosed cases currently in England and Wales.
Can I claim on behalf of a loved one who died from COPD caused by work?
We can absolutely help to establish is there was a degree of negligence or overlooking of hazards that contributed to fatal Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. As with all work-related lung diseases or illnesses, the more information that can be supplied the better in building a case for compensation. We can help assess the claim free of charge, and on a no win, no fee* basis – meaning there is no risk to yourself in seeking financial support after the death of your loved one. Call our specialist team for friendly and empathetic advice on 08082391859.
What are the main causes of occupational COPD?
The number of industrial artefacts that exposure to can cause Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease are staggeringly high, which may explain the prevalence of the illness across the UK.
- Coal dust
- Cotton dust
- Grain Dust
- Flour Dust
- Welding Fumes
- Man-made vitreous fibres
- Isocyanate chemicals
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
- Wood dust
There is a varying robustness to the linkage between these agents and the onset of COPD. But it is clear that a myriad of professions could be affected by these risks. Coal miners with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease have been signalled for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) – which has a tendency to support only the more severe case – because of clear evidence of risk.
What industries have workers that are most likely to develop COPD?
In a large study, it was indicated that there was very clear prevalence of COPD in a small set of occupations. These were:
- Seafarers and boat operatives, such as fishermen or oil rig workers
- coal miners
- industrial cleaners
- roofers in construction
- packaging operatives
- horticultural trades
- Painters, sculptors, engravers and art restorers
- gardeners and groundsmen
- food, drink and tobacco processors
- plastics processors and moulders
- agricultural workers
- warehouse stock handlers
What can be done to reduce or prevent work-related illness in the form of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease?
In a similar manner to other lung diseases, prevention comes in the form of personal protective equipment, suitable ventilation and preparation. Knowing what the risks are and materials that contribute to them will enable a proper evaluation of the required for PPE, training and safety features in a working environment.
What should you do if you’ve been diagnosed with COPD from work?
It is well documented that smoking can cause or exacerbate the problem, so we recommend you drop that habit if you are a smoker.
You can look to claim from the IIDB, but also seek to claim using a specialist industrial disease solicitor, which we have a panel of. If you’re suffering from COPD because of work, speak to our team, we can evaluate your medical records and help build a successful case for compensation, all on a no win, no fee* basis. Speak to us on 08082391859 today.
Am I likely to have a case to claim compensation for work-related Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease?
This will depend on whether there can be a clear correlation between your workplace’s practice and your own personal wellbeing. If, for instance you’re a heavy smoker working as a gardener, then there might not be a very clear linkage between negligent workplace practices and your COPD. If, however, you employer has failed in their duty of care to you, perhaps by knowing the risks and not combating them effectively, then you could be looking at a successful claim. Speak to our team as soon as you can on 08082391859 to evaluate your case for free.
What advantages do I have if I claim work-related COPD compensation with Friends Legal?
- We have a team of technical qualifiers who can assess your claim for free. If they feel you have a case, we bring your claim to one of our panel solicitors – that way you don’t run up any legal fees by just asking questions.
- Our telephony team is open 24hrs a day, but you can leave them a message with our contact form, and they’ll get back to you within a few working days.
- Our panel of workplace illness solicitors can work on a no win, no fee* basis, meaning again, you’re not drumming up expensive legal fees by claiming for your ill health.
- Our team covers the whole of the UK, and you’ll be assigned to a panel solicitor depending on if you’re in England and Wales, or Scotland.
- We have a UK call centre, based in Manchester, and come from all walks of life.
- We have helped thousands of sick employees claim compensation.
- We fight for the maximum compensation for your occupational illness, because ultimately your job is to make the company successful and they should at least ensure your health and well-being in exchange.
- When we calculate your claim amount, we factor in loss of earnings, general expenses and any ongoing costs incurred by your condition, so that you get the highest level of compensation due to you.
- We’re friendly, empathetic and here to help you however we can.
Get in touch with our solicitors** today to find if and how much compensation you could claim for a work-related COPD.
If you’re suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease because of your workplace, and your employer is at fault, get in touch today. Call our helpline on 08082391859 to start your claim – we’re here to help.